Housing Stabilization Services

People with disabilities often need support to live successfully in the community. However, that support is often unavailable.


Affordable housing is not always enough; challenges such as mental illness and developmental disabilities can make it difficult for someone to find housing, budget, interact with landlords and neighbors, and understand the rules of a lease.

With the right supports, provided by a professional with knowledge and experience in housing, more people can be successful.

Apartment Building

Goals and Objectives of

Housing Stabilization

Scroll Down

Support an individual's transition into housing

Increase long-term stability in housing in the community

Avoid future periods of homelessness or institutionalization

Housing Stabilization offers three types of services:

A housing transition services provider (a person or agency) helps a person plan for, find, and move into housing.

o Examples: Helping the person think about preferred housing; with the housing search and application processes; developing a budget; and understanding a lease.

Family Viewing House
At Home

A housing sustaining services provider (a person or agency) helps a person keep their housing after they have moved in.

o Examples: Education on tenant-landlord rights and responsibilities; coaching to develop relationships with property managers and neighbors; training on how to be a good tenant; lease compliance; and problem-solving to maintain housing stability

A housing consultant helps a person who doesn’t have MA case management develop a person-centered plan that addresses their needs, wants, and goals for living in the community.

o Examples: Developing a housing focused person-centered plan based on the person’s needs, wants, and goals for housing; helping a person make an informed choice in their housing transition or sustaining services provider; offering resources related to non-housing goals; and coordinating with other service providers already working with the person.


Who Does it Help?

To get Housing Stabilization Services, you must:

  • Have Medical Assistance (MA) coverage

  • Be 18 years or older

  • Have a disability

    • Your disability does not have to meet Social Security adult standards for ​disability. Disabilities can include physical disabilities, mental illness, substance use disorder, and other conditions

    • The program manual has details about which types of disability may qualify.

  • Be in one of the following situations:

    • Homeless​

    • At the risk of homelessness (including being doubled up, needing services to keep your housing, or if you were previously homeless and discharging from a correctional, medical, mental health or substance use disorder treatment center without a permanent place to live)

    • Moving our of (or moved out of in the last six months) an institution, nursing faculty, or certain other group settings like Board and Lodge or Adult Foster Care. 

    • At the risk of being institutionalization 

  • Be assessed to need help with at least one of these disability-related areas:

    • Communication​

    • Mobility

    • Decision-making, or

    • Managing moods or behaviors

  • Not be getting similar services from other programs, like Moving Home MN, Assertive Community Treatment, Housing Access Coordination, or Relocation Service Coordination. 

If you think you are eligible please

 Contact Us

1 West Water St Suite #220

St. Paul, Minnesota 55107

Phone: 651-417-9112

  • LinkedIn
  • Black Facebook Icon

Thanks for submitting!